[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 15:33:00 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:39:32PM -0000, Paul Brazier wrote:
> I'm planning to set up my home machine as a triple boot with Win2k,
> Debian and RedHat (and lilo as the bootloader).
>
> I see conflicting reports as to whether I can/should put lilo in the MBR
> or not, though I think as long as I install Win2k first and have boot
> floppies ready it should be OK.

Yes: W2K first (since it blows the MBR away), then Linux.
Having a boot/emergency floppy is a good idea anyway, but you should not need
to use it for normal boots.

> Can I have Debian and RedHat sharing partitions?
> Specifically /boot, /home?
/boot: no problems, you just need to ensure that you either:
* use the same kernel (which means that you need to ensure that you use the same
  /lib/modules, etc)
* ensure that the kernels are differently named, simpler. In this case you need
  to use the same lilo.conf if you want to run the lilo installer under either OS.
  Why not copy it to /boot & make /etc/lilo.conf a symlink to /boot/lilo.conf ?

/home should be OK - presumably you want to have/use the same personal files under either OS.
Beware: (AFIR) RedHat used to have /home/ftp, now properly moved to /var/ftp, I don't
know what debian does.

> Any others that can be shared? swap partition?
Swap no probs.

> Am I going totally in the wrong direction here or does this sound
> feasible?
I did something similar with RedHat/SuSE a few years ago.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk