[Gllug] New linux user - modem problem

Jim jim at lateral.net
Mon Mar 4 12:11:37 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 10:54:46AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> Frank Kelly wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Having built my own machine (yesterday!) (1.1 Gig Athlon, 0.5 Gig Ram,
> > 60 Gig HDD) I have now 'successfully' loaded Suse Linux Professional -
> > apart from the fact that my modem doesn't work and is not detected by
> > the system.
> >
> > 'pnpdump' gives the message 'no boards detected' despite the fact that
> > there is, in addition to the modem, a Hercules graphics card which is
> > apparently working.  I have tried the 'detect modem' option in YaST1 and
> > have switched the BIOS PnP option to Manual with no effect.  As you
> > might probably guess I have no prior experience of Linux and am
> > completely stumped.  The modem is a PCWorld 'PCLine' controllerless
> > modem.
> >

> Frank,
> sorry to say this but it looks like you have got yourself what is known
> as a Winmodem or a software modem.
> It is difficult or impossible to get these working with Linux.
> Jim Bailey on the ist has done it.

I may of done it but it was a real pain and it is still ropey non of the
standard Debian config tools would work with it and I had to edit the
relevant files by hand.  I would be willing to help you if you want but
I add my agreement with the comments below, I am buying a decent
hardware modem at the weekend now I have cash in my pocket again.

> Learn from my experience, and don't waste too much time with it.
> Buy a nice external modem, which will work first time with the tools you
> mention.
> Or, if you really want an internal modem, make sure to get a hardware modem
>
> and get the guy in the shop to certify that it will work with Linux.
> I'm not sure which internal modems work wth Linux - in fact before you buy,
>
> ask this list.
> But as I say - better with an external modem which attaches to the serial
> port.

A decent hardware modem goes for between £35 and £50 at the TCR
computer fairs, if you want I can met you there on saturday.

Peace Jim

'Let him continue he is using 17 of my patents'
--Tesla on Marconi

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk