Fwd: Re: [Gllug] Unsubscribe

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri Mar 22 19:27:03 UTC 2002

In korenwolf.lists.gllug, you wrote:
> would it not be possible to implement some procmail filtering for
> gllug at linux.co.uk, that way no global changes are required for the
> server.

Anything is possible, however procmail isn't happening on that box
because it's a production machine and custom configs are (in my
experience) evil and hang around for years as 'legacy' issues.

And just what would procmail give?  Yes you can apply filter rules but
which ones?  Just how much spam does this list get?  Last time I
checked it was very little (it's possible I don't see the spam because
of my use of spamassassin here), if the spam levels rose I would
strongly advocate members-only posting rights.  I'm personally opposed
to mails to the list from non-list readers (and by implication wanting
to be cced on replies because they don't want to read the list
itself).

The problem of multiple addresses for a single user can be handled by
subscribing the additional addresses as 'nomail'.

On a side note it's possible I'll be able to route gllug through
spamassassin in the nearish future depending on some development work
that's being done and be able to block at the mailman level based on
the spamassassin headers.  The development work is on my pile but due
to some really fun issues with transit recently (Carrier One, nuff
said) it's been sidelined.

   Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
How come the AT&T logo looks like the Death Star?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk