[Gllug] OT Linux scripting of NOVELL Zenworks

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 11:17:35 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:23:33AM +0000, George Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>      As per yesterday the pointy heads got us these naff on mobo nics(
> realtek 8100 ) thank you all for  saying that 8139 drivers work.
>        Since then "the pointies" have come up with a cunning plan,
> since LINUX works we can use Novell Zenworks (based on LINUX) to image
> our distributed desk tops with win 2K.
>      The trouble is that Novell's method of making the linux boot disc
> and the call down script is broke.
>      I am assuming that really all I need to do is to make my own Linux
> "kickstart" disk set to boot the system &  call down the image over the
> network.
>
>       Has anybody done a "kickstart" like this or can point me to a
> good source on how to do it as my knowledge is a smidgin above zilch.
>  TIA
>
> George F. Saxby
>     Systems Engineer
>        I.T.S. Team

Hi
I've no knowledge of Novell Zenworks, but don't think kickstart will do
that - I've only seen it used to install RedHat compatible OS's.

When I used to do automatic installations of Windows NT4 and 9x I used a
DOS bootdisk with either the MS DOS Lanman client or PCNFS to mount a set
of remote servers. It then loaded up Ghost from one of them and gave you
a choose of images to install.

I can email the basic files to you, but you will need to add the DOS NDIS
drivers for the network card.

Windows 2000 can have PnP problems with when you ghost across machines with
different motherboards, it gets into a confused state on what devices are
there, similar to early versions of Windows 9x.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk