[Gllug] OT ADSL recomendations?

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 18:25:50 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:40:48PM +0000, Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting ADSL, after NTL wireless was thwarted by 4 high
> rise blocks and a church.  I'm currently considering contemplating
> freedom2surf and plusnet.  Does anyone have any comments they'd like to
> share?  I thought i'd read somewhere on adslguide that f2s were fairly
> linux friendly, but when i tried to download the price list, it was in
> word2000 format.  Hardly what i'd call penguin power.
>
> tia,
> -vince

I use and recomend Mailbox ( http://www.mailbox.net.uk/ ), mainly because
the support service is good, especially for Linux. They know what some
people use ADSL for and are quite happy for you to run small web or email
server, or share the connection onto a network.

The basic wires package starts at 29 UKP (500Kbit with 50:1 contension),
with a minimum contract of 1 month. Includes free .uk domain registration
and DNS entries, block of 4 static IPs (1 of which you can use for a
machine/firewall, the other three are for network, broadcast and router).

ISP black marks go to Easynet (very messed up accounts department), Demon
(for not replying to emails "but we get upto a hundred a day..." and not
being able to send faxes) and BT Openworld (who only allow one Windows PC
or Mac on a home connection).
</rant size="small">

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |