[Gllug] Splitting image into (many) tiles.

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Mon Mar 4 14:25:24 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:23:20AM +0000, Alan Peery wrote:
> Kim Hawtin wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:53:44PM -0000, Zverina, David wrote:
> > > I would like to split 21600x21600 image into many tiles. Has anyone heard of
> > > any tools which will do this and work on files this big? (This pretty much
> > > excludes any tools which try to do this with GUI interface).
> >
> > try convert in the imagemagic package.
>
> If that doesn't work, it seems like a good candidate for a Java program.  If the
> big image is in a standard format, the Java libraries should support reading it
> in.  Then presumably you'd be able to grab chunks of the image, sliced however you
> like, to write to the disk...
>
> Of course, the image must be able to fit into virtual memory for this approach to
> work. :-)

Ages ago I wrote a program called pnmwallpaper to do this. I could
dig it up if you want to. It was submitted as part of PBMplus/NetPBM,
but never made it AFAIK.

Rich.

--
rich at annexia.org | Is your school part of http://www.schoolmaster.net ?
BiblioTech Ltd, Unit 2 Piper Centre, 50 Carnwath Road, London, SW6 3EG.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk