[Gllug] Root doesn't have permission

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Mar 5 12:31:56 UTC 2002

Dave Cridland(dave at cridland.net)@Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:33:56PM +0000:
> On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 12:50, Roger Whittaker wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.  In fact it was a problem with
> > reiserfs - I cured it using resierfsck, which found these filenames which
> > weren't pointing to anything and delected them.  How it got like that,
> > though, I've got no idea.  The reiserfsck dropped some junk into
> > lost+found which all looked like browser cache stuff too.
>
> Oh, reiserfs... Yes, lost lots of data on that.
>
> It *might* be dodgy hardware, or it *might* be bugs in ReiserFS. Either
> way, ext[23] appear to fail a little nicer on dodgy/dying disks. Perhaps
> this is purely luck on my part, but either way, last I looked,
> reiserfsck didn't seem to do very much, whereas I trust e2fsck happily.

i kinda agree with that sentiment aswell.  i had a fsck'ing IBM disk
with reiserfs on it.  one day my machine kept panic()ing on bootup.
turned out it was because the init scripts couldnt unlink /etc/mtab.
the fsck reported nothing, but that one bug hosed the FS.  in th eend i
backed up what i could, and reformated.

> Although, and this is wavering off-topic - has anyone *ever* said "no"
> to e2fsck when it asks whether you want to fix something?

yeah.
it just asks me again the next time i reboot.  persistant little begger.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Keyboard error. Hit F1 to resume.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk