[Gllug] OT: Comms s/ware

Dylan Brewis dylan at exoletus.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 21:44:44 UTC 2002

Hi guys,

My boyfriend occasionally needs to dial in to telecoms switches from home for
out of hours maintenance etc. He wants me to install amd maintain a machine
with W98 and 'Procom Plus' for the purpose (which in the last three years has
happened four times!)

To be honest, I can't be bothered with the hastle and don't see why a box
should be given up (even to dual boot) for such an infrequent use. So, my
question(s):

Assuming any of you know the functionality of Procom (he can't tell me
anything about the protocols and terminal emulations etc...), what packages
are available to run under Linux to provide the same functionality. Obviously
telnet, but beyond that the information he can give me is sketchy to say the
least! (And I can't extract the relevant information from the manual because
A) I don't understand the teleco technobabble and B) the manual's only
slightly better than crap!

Any advice/comments/info would be gratefully received so I can sort one of
the Linux boxes out for it instead of the dreaded alternative!

Cheers
Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk