[Gllug] OT Linux scripting of NOVELL Zenworks

pauln at truemesh.com pauln at truemesh.com
Thu Mar 14 11:23:33 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:23:33AM +0000, George Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>      As per yesterday the pointy heads got us these naff on mobo nics(
> realtek 8100 ) thank you all for  saying that 8139 drivers work.
>        Since then "the pointies" have come up with a cunning plan,
> since LINUX works we can use Novell Zenworks (based on LINUX) to image
> our distributed desk tops with win 2K.
>      The trouble is that Novell's method of making the linux boot disc
> and the call down script is broke.
>      I am assuming that really all I need to do is to make my own Linux
> "kickstart" disk set to boot the system &  call down the image over the
> network.

Kickstart is your friend.

The howto is not upto date but works:

http://imsb.au.dk/~mok/linux/doc/RedHat-CD.html

Is usefull for grabbing the source and some setup stuff.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/KickStart-HOWTO.html

and for RH 7.2 specifics

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/

There is also a configurator and on install anaconda seems to generate a
kickstart config in /root

The redhat kickstart list is also a good resource for problems.

If you want to mung/update rpms or add custom ones into the install you
can do so by a variety of means.

I've just discovered a RedHat Network server clone which allows you to
keep your redhat mirror clean for nfs installs (or choose to merge
updates to a specific point in the base) and have separate sources such
as updates, rawhide, contrib, etc.

http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/

Grab the src.rpm, rebuild, cadmin create_certificate, edit
/etc/current/current.conf, /sbin/service current start, then read
/usr/share/doc/current-1.0/installation.txt for client install
(esentially drop in your RHNS-CA-CERT and put your server details into
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhn_register, then run
rhn_register to generate the systemid and then run up2date -u.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk