[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Mar 20 15:09:17 UTC 2002

On Wed 20 Mar, Paul Brazier bloviated thus:
> Could anyone give me a basic (one line) compare & contrast of scp and
> sftp?

scp = replacement to rcp ; sftp = replacement to ftp

> As I understand it, scp requires the user to have a shell on the remote
> machine but sftp doesn't.

Just like ftp doesn't require a shell account.  scp actually logs into
the remote host and runs scp.

> Are there any situations when scp would be preferable to sftp?

When you don't have the ftp port open on an intermediate firewall but
do have the ssh port open.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Alliance: In international politics, the union of two thieves
who have their hands so deeply inserted into each others'
pockets that they cannot separately plunder a third.
- Ambrose Bierce: The Devil's Dictionary