[Gllug] PCMCIA modems.

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Mar 26 14:44:01 UTC 2002

On Tue 26 Mar, scott wentworth bloviated thus:

There _may_ be software to run it.  www.linmodems.org

> The Question is, if linux can not see a winmode, what would happen
> if i bought an linux friend external modem for my laptop..... would
> this work?

Oh Linux can almost certainly _SEE_ the winmodem: less /proc/pci

The problem is that is can't drive it.  The modem protocols are all
done in software the and the modem itself is just a DSP with a line
driver (the hardware kind) and plug attached.

If you can't find a driver from the above site, yes an external modem
should work.  However, do you have a serial port on your laptop?
You'd probably be better served by a PCMCIA modem though.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Warning - Contains nuts!