[Gllug] Triple booting Win2k, Debian, RedHat

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 1 17:20:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 15:54, Paul Brazier wrote:
> > The thing I don't understand is why you'd want to dual boot between
> > Debian and RedHat... They're essentially the same thing with
> > a different
> > name (and format) for the package mangler.
>
> I have access to a server running RedHat and one running Debian so I
> just want to have a local test system to try stuff out on and learn the
> idiosysncracies of each.

Fair enough - the configuration of (for instance) networking is indeed
different, and the actual commands for the package manager are
different, if you're into packages. (I am, since I can't be bothered
compiling for every different system I touch.)

> I wonder if I'm being too ambitious sharing /home and /boot.

/home is perfectly reasonable to share. If you're after learning things,
then you'll learn lots more by doing so at worst. /home shouldn't be
package manager territory, so should be safe.

You might want to consider using two different usernames with the same
UID, though - that works fine even on the same system, as a nice/nasty
hack to give you different home directories which are mutually readable.

I would guess (although possibly incorrectly) that Debian would do the
same as RedHat, and assign the first "normal user" with a UID of 500, at
which point you just pick a different name. That avoids you all the
problems, but still gives you the convenience.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk