[Gllug] Proxy/ Web Filter...

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Mar 8 13:04:54 UTC 2002

Ian Baillie(ian.baillie at westminster.org.uk)@Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 09:57:28AM +0000:
> I need to set up a machine to act as a proxy server/ firewall and filter
> inappropriate sites.
>
> Could someone please guide me to the appropriate how-to's and other sources
> of information.
>
> Also, with regard to filtering, could certain users be given passwords to
> access all pages ignoring filters?  Are there any filtering agencies which
> supply readily prepared filters which you can subscribe to (and add to)?
> Is it possible to disallow access to only part of a site, e.g. can access
> Yahoo, but not Yahoo Mail?
>
> Thanks in advance

for firewalling on a 2.4 kernel, you could always start here:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html#HOWTO

to setup a transparent web proxy:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/mini/TransparentProxy.html

for content filtering and access control:
http://www.squidguard.org

and to get rid of annoying banner ads:
http://ijbswa.sourceforge.net

if you get all of teh above setup, you'd have a pretty controlable
setup.  but it will require manuall updates.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 It matters not whether you win or lose;
 what matters is whether I win or lose.