[Gllug] scp / sftp comparison

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Wed Mar 20 13:55:45 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On 20/03/02, 15:23:30, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
> regarding RE: [Gllug] scp / sftp comparison :
>

> > Hmm, that's strange, I've been using the standard commandline scp on
> > Debian unstable and it's been giving me error messages (can't remember
> > what offhand) until I set the shell back. I guess there must be
> > something else wrong with my setup.
>
> There has to be an account on the remote machine but it can be locked.
> Your PAM settings can affect this.

ssh just needs to be able to run the sftp-server binary via the user's
/etc/passwd shell. You could either configure a restricted shell to only
allow running of sftp-server ie: smrsh (sendmail restricted shell) or you
can just set the user's shell to sftp-server so it automatically runs. The
second way should be okay.. the sshd will just run sftp-server with a
bunch of command line arguments like -fc /path/to/sftp-server (ie: as if
it were a shell ) but since sftp-server will just ignore that stuff it
should be fine and it'll be the same as if it had been run by a shell. I'd
probably still tend to use smrsh; it seems more `correct' somehow but the
other way should work fine and is good for lazyness =)

-Robert.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk