[Gllug] vmware ate my floppy drive

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Wed May 1 22:47:25 UTC 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

>On Tue 30 Apr, Vincent AE Scott bloviated thus:
>
>> have you tried the latest and greatest version?
>
>You mean the latest and greatest version of VMWare?  No.  They wanted
>to hit me up for another US$99 and I declined.  I'm beginning to
>regret the decision.
>
>>  had some problems with the last workstation v.2, but it's all working
>> again now for me at least.  and BTW i have a fairly heavily patched
>> 2.4.18 kernel.
>
>Hmmm, how did you get it all working?  Have you got a
>latest-and-greatest patch?

I you're on about using VMWare 2.x with 2.4.18, then there is a script
that can be used, which will patch the kernel modules, then compile the
modules and do the normal vmware installation.

Have a look in:
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/obsolete/

The file you're after (that I used anyway,) is
vmware-ws-1142-for-2.4.7a.tar.gz.

--
    /"\
    / \