[Gllug] KDE and Debian

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Thu May 23 20:05:38 UTC 2002

* Xander D Harkness <xander at harkness.co.uk> spake thus:
> I am have just installed Debian (this will be my first Debian system :-)

Good for you :)

> I installed evolution from the ximian mirror on mirror.ac.uk and I have
> found a KDE 2 mirror after much searching at
> http://sapi.vlsm.org/DLL/debian-kde/dists/stable
>
> I must say that KDE for Debian does not seem to be readily found!!!
>
> Does anyone have a better mirror for kde2 or preferably kde3?

Try apt-spy ... it takes a while to run, but then it only need to run
once (or every time you change your connection/provider). It writes a
/etc/apt/sources.list for you based on benchmarks to all the mirrors of
debian (to the best of my knowledge).

> In addition I know it may seem strange to be chasing evolution and kde
> at this time (as I have not got X working yet :-).

'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' usually works fine for me, otherwise
you can try XFree86 -configure, or xf86cfg (a gui-version of
xf86config). This all assumes X4.x of course..

> How would I upgrade to the unstable or does anyone have any other
> recommendations.

Yeah, upgrade to testing. It is in feature-freeze and will (hopefully)
become the new stable within a few months. To do this, you edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and change the lines to read 'woody' instead of
'stable', and add this line for java: (which doesn't work btw, the
java-stuff that is):

# for java
deb ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/java/debian woody non-free

Then run 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' as root. Hopefully
packages will now be updated automagically.

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk