[Gllug] BB4::excel

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon May 27 16:17:26 UTC 2002

>If I have understood the home page correctly and got my own
>understanding of 'Open Source' vs 'Free Software' it could be considered
>the former and please Mr. Raymond but is not 'Free Software' and
>therefore not please Mr. Stallman.  Is this right or am I once more
>barking completely up the wrong tree at squirrels long since gone?

Close, but no cigar. The difference between the two is actually almost
negligible. Originally, Open Source was intended to be a rebranding of
Free Software, to make it more appealing to corporate types. The two
were the same thing. Then the Open Source Initiative approved a license
that the FSF found objectionable, and hence RMS launched himself on his
current crusade to distance himself from "Open Source".

The fact the BB's source is available doesn't make it Open Source. It
isn't, becasue it doesn't meet all the criteria:

	http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk