[Gllug] Re: [Gllug-announce] CDROM Mount problem

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri May 17 21:21:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Stephen Crook wrote:

> I'm using SuSE Linux 7.2.  I have a ATAPI/EIDE compliant CDROM/Writer as
> the slave of the 2nd IDE controller.  When I try to mount it with
>
> mount -v -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
>
> the process hangs.  I open up another shell (as root) to kill the
> process and it won't let me.  When I shutdown the system it gets stuck
> unmounting the swap partition.
>
> Any ideas?  Are there any diagnostics tools I can use to solve the
> problem?

Your CDROM drive almost certainly faulty.  Chuck it out as soon as.  You
can't kill the process because the the point where you have encountered
the problem is at the hardware level.  I'm sorry I can't be more
specific, because I'm not all that sure about why that is.  I have had
this problem myself with SCSI things - had to hard-reboot.

--
W. Palfreman. 		http://www.palfreman.com/william/
Tel: 0771 355 0354	PGP ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk