[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu May 9 09:24:01 UTC 2002

Hi folks.

I've just re-installed Debian (from potato CDs and upgraded) after a
hard disk failure.  I figure it's time to join the journaled
revolution and see what this reiserfs thing is all about.

So I'll outline the process by which I'll make this move.  Can people
who've used reiserfs let me know of any gotchas or mistakes in my
thinking?

I have six partitions on the main drive.  I've only mounted and
installed on the first (/dev/hde1 ext2) one and formatted the others with
mkreiserfs.

1) Boot from rescue business card CD that supports reiserfs
2) Mount /dev/hde1
3) Mount one of the reiserfs drives
4) cp -a from the old one to the reiserfs one.
5) Reformat /dev/hde1 reiserfs and mount
6) Copy everything back
7) Reboot

I'm running Debian testing (i.e., nearly Woody) and have the reiser
tools installed.  According to the changelog, lilo won't have any
problems (besides which, /boot is still on an ext2 drive /dev/hda3).

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare,
terror, murder, bloodshed---they produced Michelangelo,
Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they
had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and
peace and what did that produce...? The cuckoo clock.

- Orson Welles