[Gllug] Setup ADSL to home network

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu May 30 14:19:54 UTC 2002

TM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently joined the discussion group and this is my 1st
> posting to this list. I was about to ask if anyone could help
> me with some advice regarding connecting a home network to
> the outside world via ADSL when I received the last list digest
> (Gllug digest, Vol 1 #1884 - 14 msgs), where Murray sort of touches
> the subject.
>
>  From what I read, maybe someone could tell me how to get hold of
> the old (archived?) messages so that I too can benefit from your
> expertise please.
>
> Otherwise, I'd appreciate any suggestions/hints/directions on
> what you think is a good (best?) way to set up an ADSL line to
> a small home network (usually 3 PCs) in a secure way running
> Linux (OpenBSD?). I'm comtemplating using an old PC as a firewall
> and buying Alcatel's 'Speed Touch USB Self Install Pack' (as far as
> I know the only one ADSL modem with drivers for Linux) to 'feed'
> into it. Is this a cost effective way of doing it?
>
> I'm a Linux novice and certainly not a network expert, and even though
> my curiosity to explore Linux doesn't prevent me from trying to do
> something so big (from where I'm standing), it's not enough to stop
> me from worrying about security. Therefore any help is very much
> welcomed.

I run a small home network behind an IPcop firewall:

http://www.ipcop.org/

and it works extremely well.  It runs on a pentium 90 machine and uses an Alcatel Speedtouch USB
modem.  It took about an hour from putting the CD in to getting a connection.  There is a really
simple web based interface and just about everything is done using this.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk