[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 22 11:12:39 UTC 2002

It is a habit I am finding really hard to break.  I will power up my SuSE 8
system but forget to power up the external SCSI CD-RW with it.  Hours/days
later I'll want to use the external drive and I will try to mount a disk,
only to get a pop up error message

'mount:/dev/cdrecorder is not a valid block device'.

I then have to power down the system to get it working.

How do I get the external drive recognised without the reset?

I assume this has something to do with the modules that need to be loaded,
or started at least - I suspect they are in the kernel.  Modules have
always remained a bit of a mystery to me, maybe this will set me on a path
of discovery.

lsmod shows a line
initio                 18976   0  (unused)

which is the module for my SCSI card.

'Modprobe initio' doesn't seem to achieve much which means I've completely
misunderstood what modprobe does, or only have half the answer.  So, where
have I gone wrong?

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk