[Gllug] Setup ADSL to home network

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 30 20:10:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > http://www.ipcop.org/
> >
> > and it works extremely well.  It runs on a pentium 90 machine and uses
> > an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.  It took about an hour from putting
> > the CD in to getting a connection.  There is a really simple web based
> > interface and just about everything is done using this.
>
> I also run IPcop with a frog modem and I find that every 14 to 17 days
> of continuous connection it will disconnect and refuse to reconnect
> wither a three fingered salute.  Smoothwall did this to me too.
>
> Does anyone have similar experiences?

It's not IPcop, but I need to unload and reload the USB drivers every now
and again.  Since unloading the driver kills the port, which kills the power
to the frog, it's probably a cleaner way of doing the same thing...

And the period varies.  Sometimes I got for many weeks, sometimes it's less
than a week.  I think it's more likely that it's random, rather than caused
by any specific event...

> Cheers
> Xander
>

> > Will.