[Gllug] DAC960 driver and Grub issues

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue May 28 22:57:24 UTC 2002

Sean Burlington(sean at uncertainty.org.uk)@Tue, May 28, 2002 at 05:58:46PM +0100:

> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 6:43 pm, Andrew Och wrote:
> > Dear All
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced a problem booting Linux using Grubv 0.91 and
> > v0.92 when the system is installed on a Mylex Accelraid 170 RAID 1
> > array?
> >
> > The problem is that when I try to boot, the system stops with the error
> > message:
> >
> > Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
> >
> > This occurs with Debian, Redhat 7.2, and Suse 7.3 / 8.0 and has been
> > tried with ext2, ext3 and Reiserfs partitions.
> >
> > IBM who own Mylex sent me an email telling me that since they didn't
> > write the driver and should really take this up with the Grub
> > maintainer.
> >
> > So much for IBM's Linux support!
> >
> > Best regards
> > Andrew Och
>
> there have been a couple of similar questions on the grub maillist lately
> - - unfortunatley they are unanswered but ...

would a small ext2 /boot with a kernel and initrd not work?
i'm assuming you have a 'normal' ide controller + disk on the boxen.
or is that not an option?

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";tr[0->][ LEOR!AUBGNSTY];print'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk