[Gllug] Linux laptop?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 23 12:00:27 UTC 2002

On 23/05/02, 10:52:55, Simon Stewart <sms at lateral.net> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] Linux laptop?:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 07:53:38PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >
> > The sad thing is that Jobs, having restored the technical edge, has
> > thrown out the UI baby.

> The thing with the OS X GUI is that it feels half finished. The dock
> as currently implemented is atrocious, and should be removed asap and
> task switching is also not very intuitive when done via the keyboard
> (I think that the ordering used in Windows is actually quite good)
> amongst its many other failings.

I don't think things are going to get better on that front.  The Human
Interface Guidelines have been thrown out and the HI group shut down.
The afwful QuickTime interface is one of the most hideous examples of the
new approach and deserves its entry in the Hall of Shame:
http://www.iarchitect.com/qtime.htm

This guy has a very clear take on what was good about the old Mac UI:
http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk