[Gllug] Online banking

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu May 16 19:33:39 UTC 2002

Simon Stewart <sms at lateral.net> writes:

> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:33:56PM +0100, Dave Turner wrote:
> > HSBC's site works well with Galeon  and all the other browsers that
> > I've tried.  They don't rely on a whole bunch of cruft on the client
> > side to give 'added security'.
>
> So far people seem to be coming out in favour of HSBC, Lloyds/TSB and
> Citibank (either on list or in emails) Co-op and Smile also feature in
> the list. Time to go and hunt about on google to see which is the most
> "ethical" If I'm moving bank, I might as well try and find one that
> treats the world with a bit of respect. Wishy-washy lefty that I am.

Go with the co-op. I managed to get their Smile stuff to work with my
accessible browser collection (tho' in at least one version, the text
was invisible unless selected.) They send out regular "what ethical
policy would you like next" questionnaires, actually have an ethical
policy, have a method for tracking it, and, best of all, if they f'
anything up, *they pay you £10 automatically*.

Don't think about Lloyds/TSB if you ever want to do anything difficult,
like accept money from abroad. Their business service is, IMHO, a
stinking pile of cack. (Their own people cuss their business service
department). Amongst other things, they managed to lose all their copies
of the signatures for our account. No, they didn't tell us...

HTH,

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk