[Gllug] NTL (UK) Help!

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Wed May 22 21:39:27 UTC 2002

> Although not new to Linux, i am new to using Broadband. So when trying to
> use Broadband with RedHat Linux i am confronted with a box asking for the
> User ID and Password (Obviously to connect to Broadband). I tried all sorts
> and NTL will not offer support for Linux.

Phone up NTL - Tech help are all friendly and they do know about Linux. Don't
tell them your distro though, as some of them are Slackware bigots :-)

You should have a PID numbers nn nnn nn nn which is used to say who you are
when you call.
A subscriber number nnnn nnn I assume this is for billing purposes.
A password ****************
and a login xxxxxxxxxx

The other information to ask them for is the POP3, SMTP, News servers.

While you are on get them to test to see if it is connected.
I had to switch off then on my NTL box so it registered the changes.
Once that's on set to DHCP and use ifconfig to see if you have an IP.

Also the FTP space available is the same 10MB they give you for webspace.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk