[Gllug] Screen I just have to share

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue May 21 10:31:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:40:46PM +0100, Nix wrote:

<snip "doesn't niceness wear off?">

> (The *dynamic* niceness value gets nicer the more CPU time a task uses,
> for sure, but that doesn't change the static niceness, it's just
> affected by it.)

That's prolly the thing that I had managed to get myself confused
over. From your comment, it sounds as if the opposite happens: if
something's using a lot of CPU time, it gets a higher niceness value,
and consequently gets a lower priority. Will have to manufacture some
free time and look at the code, but is it worth it? 2.5 has the new
O(1) scheduler in now, doesn't it?

Disclaimer: I don't hack the kernel. I got half way through writing a
procfs based implementation of something similar to ethtool, but
couldn't figure out how to call an ioctl from kernel space and ran out
of time. I'm willing to be wildly wrong. Randomly and with no good
reason.

Cheers,

Simon

--
Last week I forgot how to ride a bicycle.  -- Steven Wright

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk