[Gllug] UML file system question...

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Wed May 29 19:12:51 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm fiddling around a bit with UML (Thanks for the suggestion Tushar
;-)) on a Debian system but have come up upon a temporary glitch that is
going to have me scratching my head for hours but probably has a very
simple answer, and something very obvious I'm doing wrong....

Basically I've got the thing working as expected, running from a single
root_fs file system /dev/udb0 but I'm trying to start it up with an
additional file system for /home with some spare space so I used dd to
create a file on the host machine like so:-

dd if=/dev/zero of=home_fs seek=500 count=1 bs=1M

(got the block size and seek from the howto, although I'm no expert
there and the howto seems to relate to reiserfs rather than ext2 which
I'm starting with for the time being, so it may be wrong)

I'm then starting up uml like this:-

linux eth0=ethertap,tap1,fe:fd:0:0:0:2,213.253.25.151
ubd0=/home/jj/root_fs ubd1=/home/jj/home_fs

and all is fine apart from the fact that I can't then seem to use fdisk,
fsck or mount to get the home_fs bit mounted as another partition.

Things I have randomly for no good reason tried without success:-

# fdisk /dev/ubd1

Unable to read /dev/ubd1

(hoto doesn't mention fdisk, perhaps not needed anyway)

# mkfs /dev/ubd1

mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
mkfs.ext2: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition
specified, or partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to reboot to
re-read your partition table.

Anyone got any experience/suggestions that might help on this one?

Many thanks for any help I might get,

Jake.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk