[Gllug] m$ and donated PC's

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Wed May 1 11:31:22 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 10:59, Sean Burlington wrote:
> It is a legal requirement that pre-installed operating systems remain with a
> machine for the life of the machine. If a company or individual donates a
> machine to your school, it must be donated with the operating system that was
> installed on the PC.

I think a correction is needed here.  In the case of bundled OEM copies
of msware it is only licensed for use with the machine in question, it
therefore cannot be used on other equipment or resold on.

However there is nothing to stop it being removed from the hardware
(this point is particularly fudged over on the MS site) or thrown away
destroyed.

The FUD which MS is giving out here is that it is illegal to take any
machine which does not have a MS operating system on it with the
original documentation.  Something which is impossible with my current
hardware.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/