[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu May 16 11:24:23 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:10:19PM +0100, Kim Hawtin wrote:

> > > No, that is not the problem. automount just allows a file to be unmounted
> > > when it has not been used for some time. It won't cure the problem when
> > > the NT box goes away unexpectedly.
> >
> > ok, so why are you using an NT box for a server then?
>
> actually there is a flag that you can pass to mount to tell the
> kernel not to go into block mode and to pass a signal back the the
> process that the access failed ... that being under freebsd, i do
> not know, however, if there is an equivalent option under linux.
>
> its set up on my workstation at work, which is at work ...
> so i could look at it tomorrow =)

there is an equivalent under linux, or debian at least;

       soft   This option allows the kernel to time  out  if  the
              nfs  server  is  not  responding for some time. The
              time can be specified with timeo=time.  This option
              might  be  useful  if  your  nfs  server  sometimes
              doesn't respond or will be rebooted while some pro-
              cess  tries to get a file from the server.  Usually
              it just causes lots of trouble.

so you'll want;

# mount -t nfs -o soft server:/path /local/path

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |  _  ASCII       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk