[Gllug] OT: Star Wars in digital

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu May 16 19:48:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:44:07AM +0100, Formi wrote:

>  English young director gets given shitloads of cash from the British Arts
>  Council and the lottery to make a film, and promote the "enlgish film
>  industry"

He divides the money between himself, a few cronies and the technical
ronin they need for the job.  Most of the rest are desperate hopefulls
who have signed contracts that say even if the film is a smash it they
will get nothing.

>  Guy spends 3 years perfectionning the "costume" movie.

Guy spends 3 month writing a script he will hope make him shit loads of
money with enough 'edge' to appeal to the pretentious 20 somethings
market, to which he belongs.

>  Critics have a look, and say, really good in all aspects.

Producer/Director smooches a couple of industry hack with lottery money.

>  They go to the distributors to show the movie in UK cinemas and they are
>  send packing.

Distributor looks at it and thinks,  mmm... I would rather show Spider Man.

>  Movie dies quietly.

Sad bloody mess should never of been born in the first place.

I am sorry to say that even in the 'Independent' sector crap films are
made.

Peace Jim

"When bankers get together for dinner they discuss art, when artists get
together for dinner they discuss money."
--Oscar Wilde

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk