[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu May 16 11:58:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 13:17, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:53:31PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 11:37, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
> > > More pondering on how to do high availability storage :)
> > >
> > What do you mean by high availability storage?
>
> Sadly not SANs (had EMC at last place), as no budget.  I have a cluster
> of machines, and need to have all of them getting data from a central
> source (which is robust).
>
> The servers get both user data and live feeds (updated every 2-4 mins).
> The cluster is not physically in one rack (so shared storage may be
> out), however they are on a fast local network.

Hmmm.
The 'no budget' thing here is a bit of a show-stopper.

Have you looked at the storage arrays from DotHill?
http://www.dothill.com

I like this company, and I believe the kit does what it says
on the box (with the get-out clause that I've never actually
used their stuff).
They have an office in Wimbledon, so you should be able to get a
demo.
Also supports GFS

Also related to this, I remember reading on some web page
yesterday that SGI's Clustered XFS is coming out for Linux.
I've no idea on timescales.
This is a paid-for product.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk