[Gllug] KDE and Debian

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 24 12:59:33 UTC 2002

On 24/05/02, 11:33:39, "Jackson, Harry" <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] KDE and Debian:

> I am meant to be getting ADSL soon so this should be quite quick.

> On a side note. I have to buy my own router. What are the advantages of
> Ethernet over USB. I want to be able to use my Linux box as a firewall
> connected to the router. Is it worth the extra £100.

The only reasons to get a router would be

a) if you don't think you can get an ADSL modem to work with your Linux
box, b) if you want all your machines to be able to connect to the
internet independently (rather than using one as a gateway)
c) if you don't trust your abilities to set up an effective Linux
firewall

The advantages of a router are

* Ethernet connection to the router.  So no drivers needed and no
compatibility problems.
* Can do firewalling and NAT for you
* Turn off the router and you _know_ you are secure

The disadvantages of a router are

* It needs its own ip address, which is not an issue if you do NAT but
does mean it takes up one address if you get a block for your internal
machines
* Even the more expensive routers don't have the features of a Linux box
acting as fw/router.  And the cheaper ones may not have hugely reliable
firewalls.
* Port forwarding and NAT may not be as flexible or reliable as that
performed by a Linux box.

IIRC you currently have a Debian box acting as a gateway for a dual boot
win/rh box.  If you stick an ADSL modem in there you can keep exactly the
same set-up.  I'd recommend doing it that way.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk