[Gllug] Kernel Questions

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed May 1 20:20:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 16:40, French, Alastair wrote:
> Thanks Roger
>
> Is this only if I need any at boot time? I can't see that I do. Isn't IDE
> support native.

Doesn't have to be. You compiled the kernel, so you choose what's native
and what isn't. Most  distro's tend to use an initrd, as it means you
can build a minimal kernel, and provide all the modules in the initrd.

This approach makes much less sense when you're building your own kernel
- you *know* what hardware you have, so you can just compile the
appropriate stuff in (or as modules).

> What do I need to do with the System.map

Point lilo to the one built with your kernel. If you get it wrong, it'll
boot anyway, it'll just bitch at you. It's easy enough to fix it later
of you need to.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk