[Gllug] Pronunciation of SuSE?

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Mon May 27 19:11:41 UTC 2002

--On 27 May 2002 19:17 +0100 Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:

> But I don't think they are fanatics about this.

I'm not so sure, my good friend & business partner Mr Nick Mailer (who can
probably provide more detail than I can on the story) once asked a question
about Software RAID inclusion (or reasons for lack of) in SuSE at a
developers conference, mis-pronouncing SuSE as "Sooz". The SuSE chap
answering (as I say, I don't have all the details as to who it was exactly
etc.) was most upset, and would not answer the question, demanding that
Nick repeat after him, "soos-ZA,... soos-ZA as in sousaphone, repeat after
me now, soos-ZA".

It certainly made sure he never mispronounced it again :)

Jake.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk