[Gllug] [OT] software packaging

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Wed May 29 08:05:44 UTC 2002

[...]

> I normally start with just:
>
> configure.in:
>   AC_INIT(hello.c)
>   AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello, 0.0.1)
>   AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
>
>   AC_PROG_INSTALL
>   AC_PROG_CC
>
>   AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
>
> and Makefile.am:
>   bin_PROGRAMS = hello
>   hello_SOURCES = hello.c hello.h
>
> and a bootstrap command of:
>   aclocal && autoheader && automake --foreign --add-missing
> && autoconf
>
> Overall I reckon simpler than doing it any other way, and if the
> project expands it is easy to add to. My main wish is for a less
> verbose syntax for adding in compile time options for ./configure.
>
> James

While we are talking about autoconf/automake I was wondering if anyone could
recommend a good guide to these?
I've written a number of small to medium sized projects but never managed to
get around to learning either of these systems and instead opted to craft my
own makefiles.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk