[Gllug] gtk+ or Qt? (or others?)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon May 13 13:47:49 UTC 2002

>They're compatable between certain revisions, but detecting if a
>compatable revision is installed is hell (more of a pita if libxml1
>and libxml2 are both installed, which is quite commonplace).

Which reminds me of a long standing problem I have with packaging
systems. One of the huge benefits of Unix is that it's quite possible
to have multiple versions of the same library installed concurrently,
thus avoiding the DLL nightmare found on windows. Sounds great in
theory, only current packaging systems prevent it!

This leads people like RH, SuSE, etc. to resort to crude workarounds
like renaming packages (RH ship both glib, and glib10, for example).
That in turn screws up dependencies for third party packages. Do they
depend on glib, or glib10? If you put a dependency on glib now, then
your package may fail on RH8.0 where it'll have been renamed glib12
to make room for glib-2.0.

If packaging systems allowed multiple concurrent versions of the same
package, then we'd all be far better off.

It's been a long time since I've used Debian, but I assume dpkg to
have the same restrictions.

Ho hum, rant over, back to work...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk