[Gllug] xauth locking timeout

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue May 14 13:35:44 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 20:31, Nix wrote:
> On 13 May 2002, Stephen Harker stated:
> > Hi Everyone.
> > What does this mean when I try to log in...
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  timeout in locking authority file
> > /home/steve/.Xauthority
> > [steve at server steve]$
>
> Is your .Xauthority mounted over NFS?

No its on a local disk.

> What's the other end of the NFS link, if so? Is it an nfsd that supports
> locking?
>
> (If it's a Linux knfsd and Linux client, you must run the rpc.statd
> daemon on *both* the client and server, and each of them must allow the
> other to contact their rpc.statd in tcp-wrappers.)

So none of this applies?!?
Actually, if I move ~/.Xauthority to .Xauthority.bak and then try to
copy .Xauthority.bak back to .Xauthority, I get a permission denied even
though the file is owned by steve.steve. So maybe there is some weird
file-locking-filesystem-glitch going on. I'll try remounting the /home
filesystem later when everyone else is off the server.
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk