[Gllug] An amazing letter from Peru

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon May 6 05:18:36 UTC 2002

This is (at least allegedly) a letter from a Peruvian legislator, addressed
to the general manager of Microsoft Peru.  The Peruvian government is
proposing a law mandating the use of free software in all governmental and
public bodies, and Microsoft replied in typical FUD fashion.  The letter
goes through Microsoft's points, one-by-one, *thoroughly* demolishing their
arguments.

The story was on Slashdot on Saturday, and I overlooked it, and I don't find
the potential law all that interesting - after all, similar things have been
tried elsewhere.  What *is* interesting is the letter, even if it isn't
genuine (Formi - fancy having a quick look at the original Spanish version
for us and confirming some of the translation?).  It's the clearest, most
lucid and most level-headed thing I've ever seen which explains why
governments and government agencies *must* use free software and open
standards, and why this is a good thing for the government, the citizens,
and the country as a whole.

Read it, it's great.  Then send it to your MP... :-)

Cheers
Richard
P.S. Note that Microsoft refer continuously to Open Source software, and the
Congressman to free software.  It's largely about free-as-in-freedom, not
free-as-in-cost...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk