[Gllug] Linux laptop?

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu May 23 09:52:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 07:53:38PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> The sad thing is that Jobs, having restored the technical edge, has
> thrown out the UI baby.

The thing with the OS X GUI is that it feels half finished. The dock
as currently implemented is atrocious, and should be removed asap and
task switching is also not very intuitive when done via the keyboard
(I think that the ordering used in Windows is actually quite good)
amongst its many other failings.

OTOH, it has the potential to be pretty cool. The accelerated version
of Quartz in OS X 10.2 should help speed up its sluggish performance
(along with the other fixes) and I can't believe that Apple aren't
going to listen to their customers about the failings in the GUI.

I reckon that 10.2 will be their equivalent of Windows 3 --- we'll
start to see where Apple are going with their new OS, and it's going
to be the one that sees people switching from OS 9 to something newer
not because they have to, but because it offers something desirable to
them.

Cheers,

Simon

--
The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then hire a
hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog and smash his

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk