[Gllug] linux routers, X.21 and leased lines

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Tue May 14 08:43:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Jim Bailey wrote:

Hi there,

> A couple of years ago I helped set up one end of a 2mb dedicated link
> between the company I then worked for and one of their clients the kit
> we used was a cisco 2600 router.
>
> Am I right in thinking a similar set up can be done using Linux as
> a router and standard PC hardware or is there some special kit in Cisco
> routers.

Yes, there are no problem in doing that.  You should have everything you
need in your linux box, depending on distribution/version.

> If I am right, are there people out there that may of done this, that
> could advise as to any good resources, possible gotchas etc.

Turn on forwarding in the linux machine (can be done by turning
ip_forward on in /etc/sysctl.conf), set up an intelligen firewall using
iptables (best fw out there), set up a VPN client, if you want, but then
you _must_ remember to set up a fw on the client machine as well.  If
you don't, and someone breaks in to the client, they suddenly have free
access to your network as well.  That should be it, really, providing
you are after a simple gw.

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +441483734926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +441483734956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk