[Gllug] linux routers, X.21 and leased lines

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue May 14 08:17:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 08:05, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of years ago I helped set up one end of a 2mb dedicated link
> between the company I then worked for and one of their clients the kit
> we used was a cisco 2600 router.

Here's me. Babbling about something I don't know about as usual.

> Am I right in thinking a similar set up can be done using Linux as
> a router and standard PC hardware or is there some special kit in Cisco
> routers.
Well, first thing I would say is that there are other router vendors
than Cisco!
Networks Telecom is a good place to look for kit,
http://www.networks-telecom.com/
You should take a trip there - but it is in June.

I would say that the job would be possible using a Linux box and
maybe Zebra if you need complicated routing
 - but a dedicated router may be simpler and easier to run with.
(Heresy! Burn the unbeliever...)

Also, in telecomms speak you need to ask about the 'presentation'
of this leased line - ie. what plugs is on the end of it, and how you
interface to it.
Start looking maybe at Sangoma for suitable WAN cards?
http://www.sangoma.com

Also, these days, rather than dedicated leased lines,
how about thinking about running VPNs between company and clients?
That's the more 'modern' way of thinking.
More complicated to set up, and more potential for things going wrong.
(I have had a bit of experience here).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk