[Gllug] Data migration and electronic archaeology

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue May 21 18:41:44 UTC 2002

On Tue 21 May, John Hearns wrote:

> We've recently had a good thread on data recovery from bust drives.
>
> Let's start a thread on data migration and electronic archaeology.
>

> What do you do in the Real World (TM) when your computing platform
> is reaching (or has passed) obsolesence?
> Or when all that carefully gathered data is useless when you don't have
> the device left to read it - or the format has long been forgotten?

   I have had several faulty drives which just give out regular clicking
noises. There seems to be a system using the air drag from the spinning
discs to release a catch and allow the heads to access the discs. I believe
that the old drives have failed bearings, so do not reach normal speed, but
are the new ones more likely to have a control card problem? I had to send
back a pair of new drives with this fault, but do not expect to receive any
explanation from the manufacturer.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk