[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed May 22 12:22:06 UTC 2002

>I then have to power down the system to get it working.
>
>How do I get the external drive recognised without the reset?

Assuming your CD writer has SCSI ID 6:

	echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 6 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

The 4 numbers are controller card, channel, ID and LUN.

IIRC, the kernel allocates sufficient memory at initialisation time
to add two extra devices. If you want to add more than that, you'll
need to reboot.

Also, be aware that messing around with your SCSI chain while it's
running is a dangerous business. Diconnecting a cable can potentially
destroy your SCSI devices, controller, or both (although it's rare).
I assume powering on a CD writer carries the same risks.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk