[Gllug] CVS and SSh

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed May 1 10:27:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:06:13AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2002 10:15 am, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 07:37:54PM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> >
> > <snip "Problem accessing CVS pserver using via SSH2" />
> >
> > > hmm ...
> > >
> > > if you are running a ssh server you don't need to use the pserver
> > > component of cvs
> > >
> > > just export these environment variables on the client machine
> > > CVS_RSH=ssh
> > > CVSROOT=:ext:your.server.com:/path/to/your/cvsroot
> > >
> > > then running cvs commands on the client will initiate an ssh connection -
> > > running cvs on the remote machine
> >
> > Ahh.. an excellent scheme, flawed only by the fact that it doesn't
> > work :) Doing a "pstree" indicates that sshd is indeed running the cvs
> > command,
>
> eh !
>
> cvs should invoke the ssh client

sshd on the server should invoke cvs, however....

> > and attaching an strace to this instance of CVS shows that
> > (again) it's waiting for a read on FD 0 to complete. On the client
> > machine, cvs has started ssh, and this is also waiting for a read to
> > complete. So it looks like ssh is the problem here?
> >
> > I've got hold of the "hang on exit" patch for OpenSSH and applied
> > that, but that doesn't seem to help at all.
> >

> hmmm....
>

> have you tried the three parts of this seperately
>
> can you ssh to the remote machine ?
> (and maybe test sftp and scp between the two machines)

All three work without a problem.

> while connected over ssh can you run cvs commands ?

You mean like:

ssh -C server "cd temp; cvs -d /cvs/root co project"

Yes, that works quickly, efficiently and without vomitting heavily.

> if you set up a test repository on your client machine can you run cvs purely
> locally ?

Yes, that works fine. No problems. The only hitch seems to be when I
use cvs over ssh from the client to a remote server.

Cheers,

Simon

--
`"This code is gross!"  meaning "This code has over 144 compilation errors."'
                                     --- Correct use of English, from jer

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk