[Gllug] dd to tape of root filesystem

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu May 23 13:06:21 UTC 2002

Alain Williams wrote re problems with dd'ing root filesystem to a tape -
i-o error at the tail end of the filesystem.

I use this method both on SCO openserver and linux (2.2....) and have never
seen any such problems.

Presumably you are doing the dd of the root filesystem whilst booted from a
floppy (so that the filesystem is not mounted) ??

Could the size of the partition and the filesystem created upon it be
slightly different ??

If you do a dd and 'skip' the first n blocks (ie the ones that do read ok)
do you get the same i-o error?

My guess is that whatever blocks dd is failing to read probably don't contain
any real data anyway - but I guess you really need to see what's in them
to be sure.

I have a mickey-mouse disc-copy 'c' program (source code) which does more or
less what dd does but outputs a slightly more meaningful error message if it
falls over ( I use it instead of dd as it allows for short pauses between
blocks to avoid hogging the discs too much when other users are busy !).
Your welcome to try it and see if anything useful emerges.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk