[Gllug] Gllug Changing

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed May 15 13:49:43 UTC 2002

Xander D Harkness(xander at harkness.co.uk)@Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:08:56AM +0100:
> Jackson, Harry wrote:
>
> ><FLAMEBAIT>
> >I have just been looking at past emails on the list and something I did
> >notice is that the threads in discussion at a point in time are fewer.
> >Having looked down the dated list it looks much tidier. Having been on this
> >list for over a year it has changed but I cannot put my finger on it. Is
> >there less 1."social lubrication"? Does the list need to evolve, personally
> >I think it does.
> >
> >Some Observations I have made.
> >
> >This list is more a community than a mailing list.
> >Quite a few of us are friends in an interconnected fscked up way.
> >Some of us hate the sight (metaphorically) of each other.
> >Some of use would like to ask friends questions rather than subscribe to
> >yet
> >another mailing list.
> >

> >I know its a Linux User Group but the breadth of skills on this list is
> >quite phenomenal. Questions on nearly every tech subject under the sun has
> >been on this list and answered. We have had discussions about change before
> >and the general consensus has been that the list stays as is which I agree,
> >but I think the community around the list needs more. I know that there are
> >separate lists off of Gllug where people talk about specific items amongst
> >friends because the topics are not really for the list and this is becoming
> >fragmented, would it not be better to capture all this knowledge. I am
> >probably correct in saying that this is the biggest LUG in the UK and we
> >should pioneer this sort of stuff for others.
> ></FLAMEBAIT>
> >All of the above are my own observations and are probably some of the
> >reasons I have not been as active on the list (yeeaaaah I hear you cry) but
> >I was wondering if anyone else had other thought about the community around
> >the list.

> Funny - I was thinking about this sort f thing last night on the way
> back from my first sagewise meeting.  (probably the beer!! :-)

now this is spooky.  as i was discussing it via email off list with
anotehr gllug member yesterday aswell.  there must have been something
that was said that struck a chord people on a subconscious level.

> I have been doing a lot of voluntary work over the last four months and
> had limited net access and as a result there are over 1,000 gllug emails
> that I did not get a chance to read or more importantly participate in :-(
>
> The list has changed into less of a community and feels much more like
> the exim list where people get abuse for discussing something that was
> touched on 8 months ago.  Whereas tech industry does change quickly and
> people in society (which this is) discuss the same things time and again
> - great football game, didn't natalie look great in the trailer, is the
> beer watered down here? etc. etc.  I think that members of the community
> that is gllug should try to foster happy friendly helpful mails and
> admonish firmly but friendly those that are not.  I have been guilty of
> this myself; on both sides.

absolutely agreed.  and yes, i too have been guilty in the past of both
giving usefull info, and flaming people.  this list seems to be far more
formal nowadays, and basically, in a nutshell, a lot less fun than it
used to be.  Q discussion about the gold old days when all we had was a
candle and a lump of coal.

in the past most of the major contributors to this list have engaged in
way OT discussions, but still interesting none the less.  this doesnt
happen anymore, or when it does, its quickly terminated.

now for some people, OT is a waste of bandwidth, but for others its a
forum to vent an opinion and hopefully become more enlightened and
informed.

i'd also like to mention that most of the time now, i wont bother
answering a question, out of simple fear of being shot down by some all
knowing $deity.  i'd guess this is the same for others aswell.

> ....and yes I really would like to get the opportunity to come to more
> events (read some events).  This Sunday I am being dragged off to
> Gloucester by the GF so I regret I cannot make the install fest either.

well, TCR on a saturday afternoon in The Hope is a favourite venue.  not
much technical chit chat, just geek's gathering like moth's round a
candle.

-v

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 The problem with a system that needs competent managers
 is that it needs competent managers.
 --Graydon Saunders

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk