[Gllug] multiple mic-in [VERY OT]

Daniel Andersson daniel at septum.org
Mon May 13 13:20:21 UTC 2002

> > what i feel that i need is a sound card with 5 or more
> > mic-in's or a special
> > mic-in card that works under linux.
> >
> I've managed multiple (2) sound cards under Windows, but found the IRQ
usage
> prohibitive wrt other hardware (esp true if you're looking at 5+). You
might
> be able to get away with one card if you have a line in and mic in sockets
> by using one stereo input as two mono ones, and splitting the signal
> internally! This _could_ give you four inputs. Steal the cable off your CD
> drive, and you've got another two. (not sure of the format this sends in
> though).

mixing into stereo sounds like quite a neat and simple solution. just need
to find some soundcards that will work at the same time.

> Additional question: how many input streams do you need to differeniate
> between at any one time? Assuming all your mics run back to node zero you
> could have a noise gate in reverse that filters the loudest one (possibly
> two) signals to give the soundcard. Then use the joystick port to indicate
> which ones they are.

well, me and my girlfriend are moving into a house with a total of 6 rooms +
kitchen
don't need music and stuff in the kitchen, can do that room manually ;)
but i'd like to be able to have a mic each in all the other rooms, so 6 in
total.

i've also thought about another solution.
using some kind of wireless pin that will identify you.
so whenever you walk into a room your lightning and music presets for that
room will be activated.
still think it would be neat with some mic's that would allow me to speak to
the "house-server".

but now trying to find one of these wireless pins.
no luck yet, but i will find it one day.. :)

> Steev
>
> p.s. Depending on the amount of DIY you want to do, you could mix
> out-of-phase copies (and/or biased versions) of 3 input waves into 2
> channels, and split them in software. Or run them through an ADC and pipe
> them into your parallel port. Or multiplex (as I've already heard
mention).

read about this and it probably works
but since i'm quite a newbie when it comes to advanced sound/electricity
stuff i probably can't do this ;o(

but it's worth having a look at, yes.

thanks! :)

/ d