[Gllug] apparent disk i/o error

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 13:23:54 UTC 2002

On Thu 23 May, Alain Williams wrote:

> I don't think that I have raised this before ...
>
> As part of my backup procedure for some machines that I look after, I put an image of
> the /boot & root file systems to the tape. If write it using 'dd', this is something
> that I have done for many years.
>
> A few months ago (I think after a kernel upgrade) I started to get reports of 'Input/o
> utput error'
> on some file systems. I have checked, there does not seem to be a hardware problem and
> this happens on several machines. The block that the failure happens on is always one
> or
> two from the end of the disk partition:
>
> 	# dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/null bs=1k
> 	dd: reading `/dev/hda3': Input/output error
> 	1052256+0 records in
> 	1052256+0 records out
>
> I have tried playing with the blocksize (bs), it still happens at bs=512.
>
> I see from /proc/partitions
> 	major minor  #blocks  name
>
> 	   3     0   39082680 hda
> 	   3     1      48163 hda1
> 	   3     2     313267 hda2
> 	   3     3    1052257 hda3
> 	   3     4          1 hda4
> 	   3     5    8297541 hda5
>
> The sizes agree with what fdisk tells me.
>
> I don't get the problem on hda1 or hda2 on the above machine, ie dd gets EOF
> and exits nicely.
>
> As I say, I see this problem on several machines.
>
> Has anyone else seen this ?

   I wanted to run badblocks on several second-hand IDE drives, so I threw a
few bits together to build a test box. This gave apparent input/output
errors on all the drives except the first, (the one I set up with Debian
2.2r6 for the purpose). I just assumed that I had done something wrong.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk