[Gllug] Kernel Questions

French, Alastair Alastair.French at racalinst.co.uk
Wed May 1 15:13:31 UTC 2002

Hi all

I have some questions on getting a new kernel to boot.

I am running SuSe 7.3 with a 2.2.18 kernel, and want to upgrade to 2.4.18
from the sources.

I have built the kernel, with make xconfig, make dep, make clean, make
bzImage, make modules & make modules_install and this is fine. I copied the
image to /boot and labelled it as vmlinuz-2.4.18.

On editing lilo.conf there are a couple of options I'm not sure on.

initrd = xxx, as far as I can see this is for loading a init ram disk to
allow any special drivers needed for access to the boot device i.e SCSI
modules is this correct. I am booting from an IDE drive so I shouldn't need
anything here should I?

map = should this point to the System.map created as part of the kernel
build. I want to keep all the settings I had before so I can boot into the
orignal kernel if this doesn't work etc.

If I miss out these options the PC boots OK but does not load a lot of
modules (USB fails to start on boot for example) is this due to the
System.map. Where should I put this.

Thanks in advance

Alastair

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform RACAL INSTRUMENTS LTD. immediately by phoning +44 (0)1628 604455 (ask for the I.T. dept) and delete it and all copies from your system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk